I always enjoy the closing session of a conference. As I’m reflecting on what I’ll take away it’s good to find out if it’s the same – or the complete opposite – of the other people in the room. Here are some of the things that they were thinking.
- being an information repository is not enough – intermediaries are part of the knowledge flow
- intermediaries can’t be fully neutral – but this isn’t the end of the world
- intermediaries can (should?) have influence at all levels – how are we connecting at the grassroots?
- more work is needed on monitoring and evaluation – we’re putting all this work in but how do we judge our impact?
- policy makers make decisions on the fly with a lot of information in their heads – how can we make sure that research is one of these things?
- people were encouraged by the fact that funders had taken the time to come to the conference – it shows that there is a real interest in what we’re doing?
- this was an invaluable networking opportunity